Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles records show there were 341,320 or car crashes in 2020. Injuries from all crashes totaled 212,531. In Orange County, 23,266, or 6.8%, of state car crashes occurred in 2020. 18.321, or 8.6%, of the state’s injuries from crashes, happened in Orange County. Car Accidents are a problem in Central Florida, the State of Florida, and the entire United States.
What are the Primary Causes of Car Crashes?
A national survey conducted by the NHTSA revealed that the critical reasons for vehicle crashes are as follows:
- 41% are recognition errors, including driver’s inattention, internal and external distractions, and inadequate surveillance.
- 33% are decision errors such as driving too fast, false assumption of others’ actions, illegal maneuvers, misjudging others’ speed.
- 11% are performance errors such as overcompensation, poor directional control, etc.
- 7% are due to drowsiness or sleep deprivation.
- 4% are due to weather conditions
- 2% are due to vehicle malfunctions
- 2% are due to other reasons
Driver Inattention. Traffic lights are there to help control traffic and keep drivers from getting into accidents. If a driver is moving too quickly, they might run right through a red light. If the light is red and the drivers at the other intersection have the green light, the two vehicles may collide.
Texting while Driving. 21% of all automobile crashes are related to cell phone use, whether by talking or texting, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). Driving and using a cell phone both require a great deal of thought. When doing them at the same time, your brain is unable to do either well.
Speeding. Almost one in three crash deaths involve speeding, according to the CDC. The purpose of speed limits is to make sure people drive safely while still getting to their destination. If a driver decides to go way above the speed limit, they are putting others at risk on the road while increasing the chance of getting into an accident. Someone speeding might not have an easy time coming to a stop or making a turn without crashing into another vehicle.
Driving under the Influence. Someone is injured in an accident caused by drunk driving almost every two minutes. Car crashes are commonly caused by people who have decided to drive under the influence of alcohol or possibly even drugs. Both alcohol and drugs can alter the mind and delay a driver’s response time, which would increase that driver’s odds of getting into an accident.
Regardless of what caused the accident, an experienced Orlando car accident lawyer can evaluate the circumstances of your case and determine how to bring a claim against the driver at fault to compensate you for your injuries.
What are Common Injuries after a Car Crash in Central Florida?
Injuries from a motor vehicle crash should not be taken lightly or ignored. What can appear to be a minor injury can later turn into a major one. Automobile crashes can result in a variety of severe injuries.
- Head injuries. A sharp blow to the head or a piercing head injury can damage the brain. Other head injuries can result in partial vision loss or blindness, loss of hearing, facial or jaw fractures, or tooth loss.
- Neck and back injuries. The most common injury people suffer in a car accident is Whiplash. Whiplash can damage the vertebrae, ligaments, discs, or the spinal cord in the neck and back. Whiplash can cause paralysis or other loss of function.
- Chest injuries. If seat belts did not restrain a driver or passenger, the crushing impact could break ribs or the sternum. A diaphragm rupture is a typical result of blunt or penetrating trauma to the trunk or lower chest.
- Pelvis and abdominal injuries. Compressive pelvic injuries to organs in the abdominal area are typical in car crashes. The kidneys, spleen, and liver are often injured in a collision.
- Leg, knee, and foot injuries. Injuries to the leg and knee in car accidents are caused by impact with a car part. The foot, ankle, and toes can be sprained, strained, broken, or severed in a car accident.
You need an attentive and determined car accident attorney representing your interests to receive the best chance at recovering all the compensation you deserve. This compensation can cover the costs of medical care, vehicle repairs, and more.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Orlando Car Accident Attorneys
Every driver on the road owes each other a duty of care while operating a vehicle. When drivers fail to pay attention while driving and cause an accident which results in vehicle damage and injuries requiring medical care, they are negligent. Wooten, Kimbrough, Damaso & Dennis, P.A are Orlando personal injury trial lawyers obtaining successful verdicts and settlements against negligent parties for over 50 years.
Wooten, Kimbrough, Damaso, & Dennis P.A. attorneys serve clients in Orlando and Central Florida. Handling Personal Injury cases is all we do, so we focus on in every client the quality legal representation they deserve. We will guide you through the legal paperwork and keep you informed every step of the way. We listen carefully to your needs and fight to obtain the best outcome for your case. Complete our contact form or call (407) 843-7060 to schedule a free consultation.