Doug / 01-27-2012 / Car Accident

What to Do With Your Vehicle after a Car Accident

Immediately following a car accident, the first concern is the safety of everyone involved. After the dust settles, however, you may have questions concerning how you should get your car fixed and how to deal with the insurance companies. If you are not at fault in the accident, it is important to understand your options and protect your rights.

One of the first things the insurance company will want you to do is speak with a third-party insurance adjuster. This is an independent entity that will assess the damage to your vehicle and determines fault. The third-party adjuster will likely ask you to submit a recorded statement about the accident. It is a good idea to consult with an attorney before submitting a statement to the adjuster. The adjuster’s job is to save the insurance company money, and the term ‘third-party’ can be misleading.

You have the right to have your vehicle repaired wherever you choose. The at-fault party must also supply you with a rental vehicle comparable to the one you had. You can also have your own insurance company cover the repair costs when the third-party is making you jump through too many hoops. You may have to pay your deductable, but can be reimbursed by the third-party insurance company.

If you were injured in the accident, you will want to immediately retain an experienced personal injury attorney.

Wooten Kimbrough, P.A.—Orlando personal injury attorneys.

Disclaimer: All verdicts and settlements listed here are gross amounts before deductions for attorney fees and costs. Past results do not guarantee similar results in the future. Most cases result in a lower recovery. It should not be assumed that your case will have as beneficial a result. Before choosing a lawyer, ask for written information about the lawyer's legal qualifications and experience.