Doug / 01-25-2012 / Consumer Safety

Do I Have a Case Against Walt Disney World?

Q: My 15-month-old daughter and husband became violently ill after sharing a children’s meal at a restaurant on Walt Disney World’s property in Orlando. My daughter was hospitalized for nausea, vomiting and dehydration. The doctor suspected food poisoning. It took my daughter a month to fully purge her infant system of the toxins and to return to her normal activity and developmental levels. I would like to know if I have a case against Disney. Are they liable for anything—medical bills, car rental, hotel bills or lost wages for me and my husband? Also, would she be eligible for any type of settlement, and if so, historically what might a fair settlement consist of? We live in New York, should we be looking for an attorney in New York or Orlando?
-(Question submitted to Jonathan Gregg Stein, contributor at

A: Please keep in mind that I can only respond based on the information in your question, and my answer is not legal advice. With that being said, it sounds like you do have a case. The restaurant at Walt Disney World is responsible for your medical bills as well as any general damages, including pain and suffering. You should look to retain an attorney in Orlando, particularly one who specializes in tourist injuries.

Wooten Kimbrough, P.A.—Orlando personal injury attorneys.

Disclaimer: All verdicts and settlements listed here are gross amounts before deductions for attorney fees and costs. Past results do not guarantee similar results in the future. Most cases result in a lower recovery. It should not be assumed that your case will have as beneficial a result. Before choosing a lawyer, ask for written information about the lawyer's legal qualifications and experience.