mmm / 09-08-2023 / Car Accident

Are Drunk Drivers Ever Not Responsible for a Car Accident?

When an individual decides to get behind the wheel after having a few drinks, they run the risk of causing a life-altering accident. While it is clear that driving under the influence is both illegal and dangerous, the complexities of Florida’s liability laws can sometimes lead to unexpected outcomes in accident cases. Depending on the unique circumstances surrounding the accident, a drunk driver may be entirely liable, partially liable, or not liable at all, despite breaking the law. 

If you have been injured in an accident involving a drunk driver, an experienced attorney can help you untangle the web of liability. The talented attorneys from Wooten, Kimbrough, Damaso & Dennis have over 100 years of experience protecting car accident victims’ rights and achieving favorable outcomes for their claims. We are dedicated to helping our clients understand the laws that apply to their cases and will work with you to meet your unique needs. 


How Does Florida’s Modified Comparative Negligence Law Apply to Drunk Driving Accidents?

Although drunk drivers endanger themselves and others, they are not automatically 100% at fault for a car accident. Florida’s modified comparative negligence law allows the court to consider each person’s share of blame for an accident. This can directly impact how compensation is distributed to the injured parties.

For example, if a drunk driver is swerving and driving erratically, they may cause another vehicle to swerve into your lane to avoid them, causing an accident. In this case, the court may find the drunk driver to bear 70% of the fault while the driver who swerved bears 30% of the responsibility. In other words, the drunk driver would owe you 70% of the total amount of damages, whereas the other driver would owe you 30%. However, this is only one example. In accidents involving drunk drivers and multiple vehicles, the percentages of fault can vary widely. In some rare cases, the drunk driver may not bear any responsibility at all. An experienced attorney can investigate your case and determine how Florida’s modified comparative negligence rule applies to your accident. 


Ways a Skilled Car Accident Attorney Can Help You

Accidents involving drunk drivers can be legally dense. Fortunately, an experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal process and pursue the compensation you deserve. Some of the many ways the talented attorneys at Wooten, Kimbrough, Damaso & Dennis can help you include the following:

  • Conducting a thorough investigation into your accident
  • Negotiating with all parties on your behalf
  • Filing all paperwork correctly and on time
  • Determining the total value of your claim
  • Advocating aggressively for your rights and interests
  • Guiding you through every step of Florida’s legal process
  • Answering your legal questions

Our attorneys know that every car accident and victim is unique, and we will tailor our approach to your case. We are committed to helping you pursue compensation for the full extent of your injuries and other losses. 


Contact a Highly Qualified Car Accident Attorney at Wooten, Kimbrough, Damaso & Dennis

At Wooten, Kimbrough, Damaso & Dennis, our car accident attorneys have dedicated their careers to helping victims hold drunk drivers and other negligent parties fully accountable for the harm they have caused. We have over a century of combined experience and an established history of successful outcomes. Our attorneys understand how devastating the aftermath of an accident can be and will handle every aspect of your claim as you focus on healing from your physical and emotional injuries. 

To learn more about how our highly qualified attorneys can help you, schedule a free consultation by calling (407) 843-7060 or completing our contact form today.

Disclaimer: All verdicts and settlements listed here are gross amounts before deductions for attorney fees and costs. Past results do not guarantee similar results in the future. Most cases result in a lower recovery. It should not be assumed that your case will have as beneficial a result. Before choosing a lawyer, ask for written information about the lawyer's legal qualifications and experience.