Monthly Archives: November 2014

Slips and Falls

Falls are a leading cause of unintentional injuries in the United States. Approximately 8.9 million emergency department visits annually are associated to falls. They are also the second-leading cause of unintentional deaths in homes and communities. The most common locations where falls are reported to have occurred are: Stairs Ramps Uneven surfaces Unstable work surfaces Cluttered hallways Ladders Unguarded heights Areas prone to spills or wet substances/moisture Who are at risk of falling? Everyone!  Everyone is capable of becoming victim to a fall, but some people are at higher risk than others. Adults over the age of 55 are more prone to falling and injury.  These falls may diminish their ability to remain active and independent due to the injuries sustained. Falls among people 65 and older are actually four times higher than all other age groups. Slips and falls can, in many instances, be prevented by taking precautionary measures. Many of…
Read More »

Posted in Consumer Safety, Dangerous, Injury, Personal Injury, Premises Negligence | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Attorney Nicholas Primrose coaches Barry Trial Team at ABA/Quinnipiac Criminal Justice Competition

On Thursday, November 6th, Nicholas Primrose, traveled to New Haven, Connecticut with a group of second and third year Barry law students to compete at the annual ABA/Quinnipiac Criminal Justice Mock Trial Competition. Over the past six weeks, after work and every weekend, Mr. Primrose volunteered his time coaching and teaching these students trial skills, including opening statements, motions, examinations, entering evidence, objections, and closing arguments. This annual criminal justice competition regularly hosts some of the best law school mock trial programs in the country. Barry Law has won this competition twice before and always travels as stiff competition. The Barry team was made up of third year law students, Matthew Wolfe, Stephen Hallet and second year law students, Chris Fauntleroy, James McCully, and Nick De Gori. Each student was competing as an advocate in their first competition.  The competition took place in New Haven, Conneticut. The team was able…
Read More »

Posted in Attorneys, Firm News, Staff | Tagged , | Comments Off on Attorney Nicholas Primrose coaches Barry Trial Team at ABA/Quinnipiac Criminal Justice Competition

The Realities of Work Place Injuries

Of approximately 3 million non-fatal injuries and illnesses reported in 2012, more than 2.9 million (94.8%) were workplace injuries. Among the reported injuries 75.2% occurred in service-producing industries, while the remaining 24.8% occurred in goods-producing industries. A preliminary total of 4,405 fatal work injuries were recorded in the United States in 2013, which is down from the reported 4,628 fatal work injuries recorded in 2012 according to the Census of fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI) conducted by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The number of work injuries among occupations such as construction, extraction, transportation, farming , fishing and forestry related occupations reported in 2013 were higher than those of 2012 in occupations such as resident military personnel, firefighters, government workers, and prevention workers. Workplace injuries can include falls, exposure to dangerous substances such as potential explosive/flammable materials, and equipment accidents. Other victims of work related injuries are faced with injuries…
Read More »

Posted in Dangerous, Personal Injury, Wrongful Death | Tagged , | Leave a comment